Virtualization > VMware
Your VMware environments are inherently dense and highly variable. Whether you’re running VMware on traditional equipment, or on converged infrastructure stacks such as Vblock or Flexpod, the density and scale you enjoy today would have been unimaginable a few years ago. While the performance is unprecedented, so are your monitoring challenges—with hundreds or thousands of VMs vying for resources, VMs coming up and turning down constantly, and the list goes on. With CA Nimsoft Monitor for VMware, your organization gets the capabilities it needs to monitor VMware infrastructures, so you can maximize the performance and availability of these dynamic environments.
Intelligent Monitoring for VMware Environments
CA Nimsoft Monitor for VMware helps you efficiently and effectively monitor and manage dense and highly dynamic VMware environments. The solution automatically applies, discovers, configures, and displays monitoring for ESX/ESXi servers and VMs hosted within the environment using template based automation. It also automatically correlates and displays physical hosts with virtual guests. This combination of capabilities means you don’t have to manually configure VMware monitoring—and makes it possible to proactively prevent problems and quickly remediate outages when they occur.
Gain Visibility and Control over Dynamic VMware Environments
With CA Nimsoft Monitor for VMware, your team gets a comprehensive solution for managing events, alarms, and performance within VMware environments. CA Nimsoft Monitor arms you with the essential features you need to efficiently and effectively monitor VMware:
- Delivering automated monitoring configuration, deployment, and display.
- Automatically correlating VM hosts and guests.
- Retaining monitoring and thresholds when resource levels change or when VM guests are moved.
When used with additional elements of the CA Nimsoft Monitor solution, the same monitoring platform can be used to monitor service levels and application metrics and allow you to effectively meet and keep service level agreements for mission critical applications hosted within your VMware infrastructure.
Comprehensive VMware Monitoring Capabilities
CA Nimsoft Monitor offers a host of features that make it ideally suited to VMware environments:
- Agentless implementation—using remote management interfaces for vCenter or ESX/ESXi servers for data collection.
- APIs and gateways that allow integration of VMware monitoring with your data center tools and wider environment.
- Monitors at either the vCenter or ESX / ESXi level.
- Integration with other CA Nimsoft Monitor solutions provides a complete monitoring view of all business services, whether they run in VMware environments, the data center, private clouds, or public clouds.
- Specific, comprehensive support for VCE Vblock-based VMware environments.
- Automated configuration, deployment of monitoring to VM guests based on VM guest parameters.
- Automated display of monitoring data using configurable, template-based list views.
- Discovery management views that include vCenter instances, ESX/ESXi servers, VMs, and resource views.
- Monitors multiple vCenter instances with a single data collector.
- Automated discovery of virtual elements within the environment—including resource pools, physical hosts and VM guests.
Practical, Intuitive Insights
- Alerts, trending, and real time intelligence support proactive problem prevention, and fast detection and correction of issues when they occur.
- Prebuilt displays and dashboards showing physical and virtual resource status.
- VMware intelligence ensures persistent, cohesive, and accurate monitoring view of changing virtualized environments.
- Granular, correlated views needed to ensure complex, mission critical business services deliver the performance and availability required.
- Monitoring of the health and performance of the vCenter management environment—including server status, performance and availability of the operating system, performance statistics, and the processing status of the application itself.
- Sophisticated usage tracking and reporting that enables effective communication of business value.
VMware Monitoring that Delivers Business Benefits
With CA Nimsoft Monitor, your business can:
- Reduce administrative effort and costs associated with monitoring dynamic VMware virtualization environments.
- Maximize the utilization and value of both physical and virtual resources.
- Prevent downtime and improve SLA compliance.
- Ensure peak levels of performance and availability.
- Maximize utilization of your VMware environment in order to support more users, applications, and VMs.
- Streamline VMware monitoring administration.
- Improve tracking and demonstrate the business value of your virtualized environment.
- VMware VirtualCenter 2.0.x, 2.5.x and 4.x.x (VC 1.0 not supported)
- VMware ESX 3, ESXi 3
- VMware ESX server 3.0.x, 3.5.x
- VMware ESXi server 3.5.x, 4.x.x
- vSphere 4.0 (ESX4, ESXi4, VC4)
- API availability, API response time
- Status, CPU settings and status, Memory setting and status
- By virtual, physical
- Usage, reserve capacity, extra, guaranteed, idle time, wait
- Reserved CPU usage, averages, counts
- Current reading, health state
- Error, warning, usage, information
Disk—Overall and per Disk, Physical and Virtual
- Bus resets, commands aborted & issued, read rate, red requests, write rate, write requests
- Physical and virtual, overall and per network device
- Data receive/transmit rates, packets received/transmitted
- Some metrics either only physical or only virtual
- Usage, active, consumed, granted, balloon/target, heap/heap free, overhead, reserved/unreserved, shared / shared common, state, swap in/out/used/target, VMkernel use, zero
- Some metrics only host or only VM
- Running/maintenance/power state, Guest OS/heartbeat, disk capacity/free/%, Memory size/physical/guaranteed/host use%/not to exceed, Virtual CPU number of virtual/overall usage/guaranteed/not to exceed, CPU host usage/number of cores/speed per core/cpu packages/cpu threads, overall alarm status, heartbeats, total time, service and VM application console CPU usage, CPU status, Full Name, Host name, Host memory status/info, system status, VMcount/count active, CPU reserved, GuestDisk capacity/free/free%, guest host names/IP address, snapshot count/size, tool running status, VMname
SaaS and On-Premises Deployment Options
- Complete Service Desk and Monitoring functionality
- No upfront management hardware costs; Accelerated ROI
- Reduced training and management overhead
- SLA based availability
- Access to CA Nimsoft operational expertise
- Control and customize the CA Nimsoft management server; Easily resell
- Control the physical location of data for policy, security or compliance reasons
- Support remote sites with poor Internet performance
“We initially selected CA Nimsoft because of its robust and easy-to-deploy support of our VMware infrastructure. As we consider new applications and services in SaaS and cloud environments, it’s great to know that we can make these choices without requiring any new investment in monitoring products.”
– Dave Potter
Director of IT Infrastructure at Casual Male