Virtualization > vCloud
Today, many IT organizations are leveraging virtualization technology so they can maximize resource utilization, increase agility, and simplify asset deployment. For these same reasons, virtualization solutions like VMware are being used to support many of the cloud computing infrastructures being deployed. In order to give its customers an additional level of control and administrative efficiency in virtual data center and cloud deployments, VMware released vCloud Director.
vCloud Director enables enterprises to pool resources into virtual data centers, and efficiently deliver multi-tenant clouds. However, with this advanced control also comes an additional layer of virtualized system abstraction and increased complexity. In these environments, virtualized workloads are changing continuously, with virtual machines and other resources coming on and off line and migrating across different systems, which can make it difficult to monitor and optimize service levels. To fully realize the benefits of vCloud, yet still meet their service level commitments, IT teams must have a monitoring solution that offers the comprehensive coverage, administrative efficiency, and automation that dynamic vCloud environments demand.
Comprehensive Monitoring for vCloud Environments
CA Nimsoft Monitor for vCloud provides comprehensive monitoring of the performance and availability of vCloud instances. CA Nimsoft Monitor offers the insights that fuel proactive problem prevention as well as fast triage when performance problems or outages occur. The solution also offers the capabilities cloud providers and administrators need to support multi-tenancy and usage-based billing.
CA Nimsoft has established a solid track record of providing unified, end-to-end monitoring of virtualized systems from VMware, including vSphere, vCenter and ESX. With CA Nimsoft Monitor for vCloud, CA Nimsoft builds on this expertise, enabling administrators to optimize service levels and the user experience in vCloud environments—while eliminating the need to deploy multiple monitoring tools.
CA Nimsoft Monitor for vCloud automates monitoring configuration and application, resource discovery and information display, enabling administrators to efficiently monitor multiple virtualized data centers, and their associated groups and organizations. Through its template-based automation, CA Nimsoft Monitor enables administrators to set policies for specific virtual data centers, while dramatically reducing the need for manual configuration. In addition, the solution also correlates monitoring of virtual machines, VLANs and applications to the specific groups hosted within vCloud virtual data center environments.
Gain Visibility and Control over vCloud Environments
CA Nimsoft Monitor for vCloud offers the overall scope, visibility, and automation your team needs to easily and efficiently monitor dynamic vCloud Director systems and the entire virtualized data center. At customizable intervals, CA Nimsoft Monitor can collect capacity and performance data from across one or more vCloud Director implementations—whether virtual data centers are on premise, running at a service provider or a combination thereof.
With CA Nimsoft Monitor, administrators get a comprehensive solution for managing events, alarms and performance within vCloud environments. The solution offers these features:
- Automated discovery, monitoring deployment, configuration and data aggregation.
- Advanced policy templates that enable administration of specific systems and groups within virtual data centers.
- Correlated monitoring of elements within the vCloud Director hierarchy.
- Comprehensive, multi-tenant views of performance, availability and resource usage.
When used with additional elements of the CA Nimsoft Monitor solution, the same platform can be used to monitor the end user experience, network and server performance and application metrics. With CA Nimsoft Monitor, you can consistently meet service level agreements for mission-critical applications hosted within your vCloud infrastructure.
Comprehensive vCloud Monitoring Capabilities
CA Nimsoft Monitor offers a host of features that make it ideally suited to vCloud environments:
- Agentless implementation—using remote management interfaces for vCloud Director data collection.
- APIs and gateways that allow integration of vCloud monitoring with your other VMware and data center tools.
- Monitor vCloud Director and associated virtual data centers.
- Integration with other CA Nimsoft Monitor solutions provides a complete monitoring view of all business services, whether they run in vCloud environments, the data center, private clouds, public clouds or hybrid clouds.
- Specific, comprehensive support for Vblock- and FlexPod-based VMware vCloud environments.
- Automated policy configuration, deployment of monitoring to vCloud instances, virtual machines, VLANs and applications.
- Automated display of monitoring data using configurable, template-based list views.
- Discovery management views that include vCloud instances, and associated virtualized resource views.
- Monitors multiple vCloud instances with a single data collector.
- Automated discovery of virtual elements within vCloud environments—including associated virtual data centers, resource pools, physical hosts and VM guests.
Practical, Intuitive Insights
- Alerts, trending, and real-time intelligence support proactive problem prevention, and fast detection and correction of issues when they occur.
- Prebuilt displays and dashboards provide views of physical and virtual resource status.
- vCloud intelligence ensures persistent, cohesive and accurate monitoring views of changing virtualized environments.
- Granular, correlated views needed to ensure complex, mission-critical business services deliver the performance and availability required.
- Monitoring of the health and performance of the vCloud environments—including server status, performance and availability of the operating system, performance statistics and the processing status of the application itself.
- Sophisticated usage tracking and reporting that enables effective communication of business value.
vCloud Monitoring that Delivers Business Benefits
With CA Nimsoft Monitor, your business can:
- Reduce administrative effort and costs associated with monitoring dynamic vCloud environments.
- Maximize the utilization and value of both physical and virtual resources.
- Prevent downtime and improve SLA compliance.
- Ensure peak levels of performance and availability.
- Optimize your vCloud environment in order to support more users, applications and VMs.
- Improve tracking and demonstrate the business value of your virtualized environment.
- Supports vCloud Director 1.0x and 1.5x
- Supports Vblock and FlexPod monitoring solutions
Comprehensive vCloud Coverage
- Monitor one or multiple virtual data centers
- Monitor multiple vCloud Director resources
- Track network pools, including vApp networks and VLAN IDs and metrics
- Monitor registered vSphere resources, vCenter servers, ESX and ESXi and data stores
Granular, Correlated Views
- Track resource usage by organizations, groups and users
- Configure monitoring policy templates for each virtual data center
- Segregate tenant-based monitoring across organizational virtual data centers
- Correlate monitoring views of physical and virtual machine relationships:
- Raw consumed resource pools related to virtual data centers
- Relationships to raw virtual pools
- Resources used, overused and underused, and associated analytics
- vApps and resources used
- Virtual device interface monitoring—including resource pool-based categorization and metrics
- Leverage predefined quality of service monitoring metrics
- Route logs or faults to CA Nimsoft Monitor alarms
- Unified Management Portal views, dashboards and reports
“We initially selected CA Nimsoft because of its robust and easy-to-deploy support of our VMware infrastructure. As we consider new applications and services in SaaS and cloud environments, it’s great to know that we can make these choices without requiring any new investment in monitoring products.”
– Dave Potter
Director of IT Infrastructure at Casual Male