Virtualization > Oracle Solaris Zones
Oracle Solaris Zones
Solaris Zones (also known as Solaris Containers) offer powerful virtualization capabilities to segregate and isolate hardware resources for virtual use—essentially giving you the capability to have all the advantages of a physical server within a virtual environment.
This capability results in a new layer of functionality within the Solaris environment that increases the complexity of monitoring. With CA Nimsoft Monitor for Solaris Zones, organizations can efficiently and effectively gain the insights needed to maintain the performance and uptime of Solaris Container instances, and quickly remediate outages when they occur.
Automated, Comprehensive Solaris Zones Monitoring
CA Nimsoft Monitor for Solaris Zones can automatically identify Solaris Container instances, and automatically apply appropriate monitoring.
- Automatically set thresholds and data sets collected.
Monitoring can be applied by OS version, container name or other parameter, and then appropriately displayed and correlated. This approach eliminates the need to manually apply monitoring for base CPU, disk, network and memory metrics.
- Comprehensive environment and operation data.
Provide events, alarms, and performance data from the Solaris host as well as the Solaris Containers it hosts—including key metrics for disk, network, CPU, and memory, as well as system, resource pool, and resource control.
- Automatically correlated displays.
Correlate and display container monitoring with data from the Solaris host.
- Agentless implementation, using remote management interfaces to collect data from Solaris servers.
- APIs and gateways that allow integration of Solaris Zones monitoring with your data center tools and wider IT environment.
- Automated configuration and deployment of monitoring for Containers by template.
- Automated display of monitoring data using configurable, template-based list views that show both Solaris physical host resources and Container resources.
Practical, Intuitive Insights
- Alerts, trending, and real time intelligence that support proactive problem prevention, and fast detection and correction of issues when they occur.
- Integration with additional CA Nimsoft Monitor solutions enables a complete monitoring view of all business services, whether they run in a Solaris Zone, or the wider data center, or public or private clouds.
- When combined with additional CA Nimsoft Monitor offerings, this solution provides the granular, correlated views needed to ensure complex, mission critical business services deliver the performance and availability required.
- Delivers sophisticated usage tracking and reporting that enables effective communication of business value.
Solaris Zones Monitoring that Delivers Business Benefits
With CA Nimsoft Monitor, your business can:
- Reduce administrative effort and costs associated with monitoring Solaris Zones.
- Maximize the utilization and value of physical and virtual resources.
- Prevent downtime and improve SLA compliance.
- Maximize utilization of Solaris Zones to support more users, applications, and Solaris Container instances.
- Better track and demonstrate the business value delivered through the use of Solaris Containers.
Comprehensive Solaris Zones Monitoring Metrics
- Oracle Solaris 10
Note: Most metrics apply to both Global Zone and Non-Global Zone. Except for % utilization, CPU metrics are Global Zone only.
- Execution State, 1 Minute Load Average, 5 Minute Load Average, 15 Minute Load Average, Message Queues, Run Queue Length, Semaphores, Total Executing Processes, Zonepath
- Percent CPU Utilization, Average CPU User Time, Average CPU Idle Time, Average CPU System Time, Major Faults (per CPU), System Time (per CPU), User Time (per CPU)
- Block Reads Per Second, Block Writes Per Second, Logical Reads Per Second, Logical Writes Per Second, Physical Reads Per Second, Physical Writes Per Second, Read Cache Hit Percentage, Write Cache Hit Percentage, % Disk Used (per disk), % Free Space (per disk) , Filesystem (per disk), Free Space (per disk), Used Space (per disk), Total Size (per disk), Disk Read Throughput (per disk), Disk Write Throughput (per disk), Reads Per Second (per disk), Writes Per Second (per disk)
- Packets In (per device), Packets Out (per device), Input Packet Error Rate (per device), Network Collision Percentage (per device)
- Installed Memory, Free Memory, Memory Size, Memory Utilization Ratio, Page Size, Pages Scanned, Resident Memory Size, Shared Memory Segments, Shared Memory Size, Swap Available, Swap Total, Swap Used
- Free (per pool), Load (per pool), Size (per pool), Used (per pool)
- CPU Shares, Maximum Locked Memory, Maximum LWPs, Maximum Message Queue IDs, Maximum Semaphore IDs, Maximum Shared Memory, Maximum Shared Memory IDs, Maximum Swap
SaaS and On-Premises Deployment Options
- Complete Service Desk and Monitoring functionality
- No upfront management hardware costs; Accelerated ROI
- Reduced training and management overhead
- SLA based availability
- Access to CA Nimsoft operational expertise
- Control and customize the CA Nimsoft management server; Easily resell
- Control the physical location of data for policy, security or compliance reasons
- Support remote sites with poor Internet performance
“We initially selected CA Nimsoft because of its robust and easy-to-deploy support of our VMware infrastructure. As we consider new applications and services in SaaS and cloud environments, it’s great to know that we can make these choices without requiring any new investment in monitoring products.”
– Dave Potter
Director of IT Infrastructure at Casual Male