Virtualization > IBM PowerVM
IBM PowerVM’s virtualization for the IBM Power6 and Power7 processor family supports AIX, Linux, and IBM I series virtual machines. Virtualization usage results in increased density and complexity—with up to 10 VMs per processor core, shared partitioned resources, processor and storage pools, and live partition mobility. This increased variability and complexity results in new requirements for monitoring.
CA Nimsoft Monitor for IBM PowerVM uses agentless data collection and core CA Nimsoft Monitor platform features to:
- Provide events, alarms, and performance data from the IBM PowerVM physical server as well as the VMs it hosts—including metrics for system state, disk, network, CPU, and memory as well as storage pools and resource pools.
- Automatically create and display monitoring data using CA Nimsoft templates and list views.
- Correlate and display container monitoring with data from the IBM PowerVM-based host.
This solution allows monitoring thresholds and data sets collected to be automatically set by OS version, container name, or other parameter, and then appropriately displayed and correlated. This approach eliminates the need to manually apply monitoring for base CPU, disk, network, and memory metrics.
For a more complete view of entire business services, or deeper views into the operation of applications and virtual servers, use additional elements of the CA Nimsoft Monitor solution to set and meet SLAs for the applications and systems hosted within IBM PowerVM virtualized environments.
Uses remote management interfaces for IBM PowerVM for data collection
Automates display of monitoring data using configurable, template-based list views that show both Solaris physical host resources and Container resources
Provides alerts, trending, and real time intelligence that support proactive problem prevention, and fast detection and correction of issues when they occur.
An element of the complete set of CA Nimsoft Monitor solutions enables a comprehensive monitoring view of business services, whether they run in a VM, or the wider data center, as well as within private clouds or public clouds.
When combined with additional CA Nimsoft Monitor components, provides the granular, correlated views needed to ensure complex, mission critical business services deliver the performance and availability required.
Delivers sophisticated usage tracking and reporting that enables effective communication of business value.
Sophisticated APIs and gateways that allow integration of monitoring from Solaris Zones with your data center tools and wider IT environment.
- Reduce administrative effort and costs associated with monitoring IBM PowerVM virtualized environments.
- Maximize the utilization and value of both physical and virtual resources.
- Prevent downtime and improve SLA compliance.
- Ensure peak levels of performance and availability.
- Maximize utilization of IBM PowerVM systems in order to support more users, applications, and VMs.
- Better track and demonstrate the business value delivered through your use of virtualization.
- When combined with other elements of the CA Nimsoft Monitor solution, maintain performance SLAs and uptime for business critical multi-server applications with monitoring for complete service infrastructures. Including Solaris OS instances within containers, network, storage, and the transaction times for applications hosted within virtualized IBM PowerVM environments.
- IBM PowerVM Standard
- IBM PowerVM Express
- IBM PowerVM Enterprise
Note: Metrics vary by managed system, VIO Server and LPAR. Not all metrics apply against all elements.
- Execution State, Maximum LPARs Supported, Average CPU Utilization, Disk Paging
- Available Processing Units, Configurable Processing Units, Deconfigured Processing Units, Installed Processing Units, Active Processors, Assigned Processors, Current Processing Units, Maximum Processors, Minimum Processors, Physical Processors Consumed, Processing Mode, Processor Entitlement Consumed, Runtime Processing Units, Sharing Mode
- Disk Size (per disk), Disk Bandwidth Used (%) (per disk), Disk Data Transfer Rate (per disk), System Data Transfer Rate
- Kilobytes Received (per device), Kilobytes Sent (per device), Last Reset Time (per device), Packets Received (per device), Packets Sent (per device)
- Assigned Memory, Configurable Memory, Deconfigured Memory, Installed Memory, Percent Memory Assigned, Unassigned Memory, Maximum Memory, Minimum Memory, Used Memory
- Storage Pool Free (per pool), Storage Pool Size (per pool), Storage Pool Used (per pool), Storage Pool Utilization (per pool)
- Global Shared Processor Pool Size, Global Shared Processor Pool Utilization
SaaS and On-Premises Deployment Options
- Complete Service Desk and Monitoring functionality
- No upfront management hardware costs; Accelerated ROI
- Reduced training and management overhead
- SLA based availability
- Access to CA Nimsoft operational expertise
- Control and customize the CA Nimsoft management server; Easily resell
- Control the physical location of data for policy, security or compliance reasons
- Support remote sites with poor Internet performance
“We initially selected CA Nimsoft because of its robust and easy-to-deploy support of our VMware infrastructure. As we consider new applications and services in SaaS and cloud environments, it’s great to know that we can make these choices without requiring any new investment in monitoring products.”
– Dave Potter
Director of IT Infrastructure at Casual Male