Server > Network Interface Monitoring
Network Interface Monitoring
You’re watching your network devices. You’re watching your servers. You have it all covered, right? Not always. Deep inside network packets lives a vast set of configuration details that allow system, application and network administrators to troubleshoot the most evasive problems. CA Nimsoft Monitor for Network Traffic gives you visibility into every packet crossing your server network interface cards (NICs). This allows usage trending by protocol, and integrated packet capture capabilities (PCAP).
Monitoring traffic in terms of its volume is very useful for performance and capacity planning purposes. At times, it is also useful to understand the type of traffic that is flowing through the network. In the event of an unexpected increase in traffic, it can be very helpful to analyze the traffic by protocol type, e.g. IP, ARP, RARP, and IPX, and be able to compare to previous analysis data.
CA Nimsoft Monitoring for Network Traffic inspects Ethernet packets to report the protocol being used. It also allows you to see bandwidth usage between source and destination addresses, broken down by protocol.
- Monitor the amount of bandwidth used for various Ethernet protocols and families, such as IP, ARP, RARP, IPX, TCP, UDP, and more.
- Define custom profiles to monitor, using source/destination networks/IP-addresses and one or more protocol filters.
- Give alarm notifications whenever a system-counter threshold or custom threshold is breached.
- View network activity (bytes/packet) in real-time.
- A packet-sniffer (without the content browser) to determine where the bandwidth is compromised with a powerful filtering facility.
- A summary window that shows the top-n traffic clients.
- Manually initiate a network dump at local or remote sites, and examine the data locally on your PC. Or, trigger an automatic dump when a desired pattern is found.
- Capture standard PCAP (packet capture) files containing raw packet dumps from the remote location.
- Define triggers to search for specific traffic patterns, automatically generating PCAPs based on traffic pattern match.
- Understand “baseline” and “current” network activity and protocol usage from individual hosts to help determine the root cause of problems.
- Gain integrated access to detailed packet-level information to help speed up network troubleshooting.
Ethernet statistics, displaying
- The maximum bandwidth for the network device selected on the Setup tab
- The current throughput
- The number of packets per second
Also the statistics for the different network protocols is displayed, including:
- IP (Internet Protocol)
- ARP (Address Resolution Protocol)
- RARP (Remote Address Resolution Protocol)
- IPX (Internetwork Package exchange)
IP protocol utilization, displaying the different transport protocols in a graph, including:
- TCP (Transmission Control Protocol)
- UDP (User Datagram Protocol)
- ICMP (Internet Control Message Protocol)
Packet distribution graphs show the amount of different packet sizes processed.
SaaS and On-Premises Deployment Options
- Complete Service Desk and Monitoring functionality
- No upfront management hardware costs; Accelerated ROI
- Reduced training and management overhead
- SLA based availability
- Access to CA Nimsoft operational expertise
- Control and customize the CA Nimsoft management server; Easily resell
- Control the physical location of data for policy, security or compliance reasons
- Support remote sites with poor Internet performance
“We initially selected CA Nimsoft because of its robust and easy-to-deploy support of our VMware infrastructure. As we consider new applications and services in SaaS and cloud environments, it’s great to know that we can make these choices without requiring any new investment in monitoring products.”
– Dave Potter
Director of IT Infrastructure at Casual Male