Cloud > Public Cloud
Today, your essential business applications run not only in traditional data centers, but also in highly elastic cloud environments. Meeting SLAs and uptime requirements is still critical, and that’s true whether your business runs applications on Salesforce.com, Amazon, Rackspace, Azure, Google App Engine, or any other public cloud environment.
CA Nimsoft Monitor gives you the capabilities you need to monitor and manage service levels in the public cloud. With CA Nimsoft Monitor, you get the detailed quality of service metrics, comprehensive usage metering, and sophisticated alarms and automation that you need to meet SLAs, control costs and usage, and boost uptime.
CA Nimsoft Monitor enables you to collect alarms, alerts, and performance metrics directly from cloud-based servers. CA Nimsoft offers solutions for monitoring SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS, offering support for these cloud offerings:
- Amazon EC2 and S3 Web Services
- The Rackspace Cloud
- Microsoft Azure
- Google App Engine
- Google Apps
- Salesforce CRM
When cloud monitoring is combined with detailed OS and application metrics and the rest of the CA Nimsoft Monitor solution set, you can build detailed, end-to-end views of your IT infrastructure—wherever it may be located.
Amazon Web Services Monitoring
With the CA Nimsoft Monitor for Amazon Web Services (AWS), customers gain the insights they need to proactively monitor AWS performance – allowing them to optimize service levels for servers and business applications built on AWS EC2 and S3. The solution uses standard interfaces to monitor the availability and performance of AWS EC2 and S3 systems, offering customers visibility into resource utilization, operational issues, and overall demand patterns.
- Monitor multiple AC2 and S3 instances from a single point.
- Extract and aggregate metrics across Instances, ImageIDs and Instance Types include CPU, disk, network and memory.
- Automatically discover and add new instances.
- Aggregate data by availability zone, auto scaling group, AMI type, or elastic load balancer.
The CA Nimsoft Monitor Rackspace Cloud probe offers organizations a suite of metrics related to two powerful cloud computing products offered by Rackspace; Cloud Servers and Cloud Files:
- Dashboards display key performance metrics including server bandwidth, disk space, number of bytes in storage accounts, and more.
- Thresholds can be set for each monitor so that users can be proactively notified when problems occur.
- Monitoring of monthly resource usage enables you to understand and control your on-going Rackspace cloud costs.
- File transfer performance for upload/download times and Rackspace server start times (time to start a new server instance on the cloud) are also available to help you further understand the performance of your Rackspace server instances, and the performance of the Rackspace cloud behind it.
CA Nimsoft Monitor offers these features for Salesforce CRM monitoring:
- Examines and imports current Salesforce structure and instances.
- Delivers the insights administrators need to minimize the business impact of Salesforce downtime or performance problems.
- Provides comprehensive monitoring views of Salesforce CRM implementations.
- Monitors average transaction time, number of transactions, and instance status as well as file and data storage, login timing, API calls, query execute time, and more.
Microsoft Windows Azure Monitoring
With CA Nimsoft Monitor for Windows Azure, customers gain these capabilities:
- Automatically discover and monitor any number of Windows Azure role instances, including dynamic scaling.
- Used templates to automate monitoring configuration of instances.
- View worker roles, Web roles, and performance monitors through sophisticated, intuitive dynamic dashboards, portals, and reports.
- Integrate Windows Azure monitoring with monitoring of all business services—whether hosted internally or in other cloud environments.
Google App Engine Monitoring
If your organization depends upon the Google App Engine (GAE) platform to run your Web applications and infrastructure, you already know that it is a business critical platform. To maintain service levels and prevent down time, you need monitoring information specific to GAE—CA Nimsoft Monitor for Google App Engine meets this need.
With CA Nimsoft Monitor you can directly measure the performance of Java runtime and subsystems through the use of the CA Nimsoft GAE plug in. You can also gather the metrics exposed on the Google-published runtime and subsystem status from http://code.google.com/status/appengine, so you can measure service levels.
Google Apps Monitoring
Google Apps is a rich set of desktop applications that are hosted by Google. A Google Apps domain is a unique account within Google Apps. CA Nimsoft Monitor enables you to collect specific usage information for your Google Apps domain, offering these capabilities:
- Gather usage information and create alarms for the published status of your Google Apps environment.
- Understand your organization’s usage of Google apps resources and the performance provided by Google.
- Measure latency of common tasks, such as creating a document, deleting a contact, or sending an email.
The Dividends of Effective Public Cloud Monitoring
With CA Nimsoft Monitor, your business can enjoy an array of benefits:
- Add monitoring for your cloud services to IT infrastructure monitoring, with minimal effort and investment.
- Boost implementation reliability through improved visibility.
- Leverage insights into resource usage to maximize the value of your cloud services usage.
- Streamline monitoring reporting and administration.
AWS EC2 and S3: Monitoring Metrics
CA Nimsoft Monitor gives you visibility into resource utilization, operational issues, and overall demand patterns. CA Nimsoft Monitor can aggregate and report on metrics for CPU utilization, data transfer, and the disk usage and activity for each EC2 instance. It also monitors elastic load balancers for metrics such as request count and request latency.
- Overall AWS health:
- CloudWatch values:
CPUUtilization, NetworkIn, NetworkOut, DiskWriteOps, DiskReadOps
- S3 file transfer times
- EC2 instance deployment time
Rackspace Cloud: Monitoring Metrics
CA Nimsoft Monitor for Rackspace gives you a suite of metrics for two powerful cloud computing products offered by Rackspace: Cloud Servers and Cloud Files. You can now measure performance of these aspects of your Rackspace cloud computing infrastructure:
- Server usage
- Deployment efficiencies
- Disk usage
- File upload/download bandwidths
- Server deployment times
- Account wide statistics
- Storage usage
- Upload and download latency
- Existence and size of file containers and files in storage
Salesforce: Monitoring Metrics
For each instance, CA Nimsoft Monitor for Salesforce collects metrics in the following areas:
- Average transaction speed in seconds. This represents the average time, across the entire cloud, that it takes to execute a single transaction during a given day.
- Number of transactions. The total number of transactions executed by the cloud today.
- Instance status. Each instance has one of the following status classifications: Instance available (operating normally), performance issues (instance performance degraded), service disrupted (severe service degradation), and not available (completely offline).
CA Nimsoft Monitor for Salesforce can monitor any number of organizations. For each organization, the solution is capable of measuring the following metrics:
- Web site login timing—measuring how long it takes for a user to login to the monitored organization.
- Data storage—quantifying how much data storage is in use by organization.
- File storage—specifying how much file storage is in use by the organization.
- Number of API calls today—counting the number of Web service API calls made to the organization on a given day.
- API login timing—detailing how long it takes to login to the organization via a Web service call.
- Query execute time—measuring how long it takes to execute a query against an organization.
- Query number of objects—detailing how many objects a specified query returns.
- Query value returned—revealing the specific value from a query’s result objects, which can then be used for QOS reports and alarms.
Microsoft Windows Azure: Monitoring Metrics
- Quality of service (QoS) values and alarming on all Windows performance counters that are accessible by a role instance in a given hosted service.
- This includes standard performance counters supplied by the operating system, as well as custom performance counters that developers can create to supply application-specific metrics.
- Performance counters include:
cache, distributed transaction coordinator, ICMP, logical disk, memory, objects, paging file, physical disk, process, processor, server, system, thread, and more.
Google App Engine: Monitoring Metrics
- Data Store (milliseconds:
Delete 2KB entity, Read 2KB entity, Create 2KB entity, Transactional Update 2KB entity
- Java – CPU (Fibonacci) – milliseconds
- Image (milliseconds)
Adjust contrast/color levels 3KB image, Convert 3KB JPEG to PNG, Single tranform 3KB image, Two tranforms 3KB image, Delete 50 10KB, items from cache, Read 10KB item from cache, Read 50 10KB items from cache, Cache 10KB item, Cache 50 10KB items
- URLFetch – Fetch a URL (milliseconds)
Users, Create login URL, Create logout URL
- Subsystem Status (status)
Google Apps: Monitoring Metrics
- App Status (status)
- Storage – average bytes per account (bytes)
Number active, Number active on given day.
Number of accounts accessed on day, Number of accounts accessed on day using POP, Number of accounts accessed on day using web.
- Accounts – number idle 30 Days or more
Number of large mailboxes (> 5GB), Number of medium mailboxes (1-5 GB), Number of small mailboxes (0-1 GB)
Total bytes used, Percent quota used
Create latency (milliseconds), Delete latency (milliseconds), Find latency (milliseconds)
Create latency (milliseconds), Delete latency (milliseconds), Update latency (milliseconds)
- Email – send secure SMTP message latency (milliseconds)
SaaS and On-Premises Deployment Options
- Complete Service Desk and Monitoring functionality
- No upfront management hardware costs; Accelerated ROI
- Reduced training and management overhead
- SLA based availability
- Access to CA Nimsoft operational expertise
- Control and customize the CA Nimsoft management server; Easily resell
- Control the physical location of data for policy, security or compliance reasons
- Support remote sites with poor Internet performance
“CA Nimsoft has helped us shift from being a reactive environment, where someone notifies us of a problem, to a proactive service, where we are notified of issues that may arise before they happen. Overall, we are very pleased with the simplicity of the CA Nimsoft setup, the extreme ease of use and their great breadth of features.”
– Jeff Letasse
Senior IT Director of Conceptus